popular thinking

hopelessly devoted to deconstructing popular culture and conventional wisdom, one blog at a time





E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



COMEDY, COMEDY, COMEDY: THY NAME IS EUGENE MIRMAN

Lots to talk about in comedy, not just today, but why not kick things off today with a brief chat with Eugene Mirman. Read my story in the Boston Herald.

Then make plans to see Eugene Mirman tonight with Todd Barry and the Walsh Brothers, at the Middle East. Even funnier videos and audio clips by Mr. Mirman are available on his various online homes.

Related: Eugene Mirman's site
Related: Eugene Mirman on MySpace
Related: Eugene blogs about his radio ads -- and has some of the outtakes

UPDATE...what didn't make it into my story...

Mirman conceded that his own playlist as a DJ doesn't compare to that of the radio stations. "I probably don't play a bigger variety, but I have access to way more songs," he told me.
"Mike" FM might have 10,000 songs, he said, "but they're probably not counting all the Velvet Underground outtakes I have. Then again, I only have 4,000 songs, so I don't have as many songs as an iPod."
His weekly New York show at Rififi, Invite Them Up, regularly has lines of eager fans waiting to pack the intimate venue.
Recent praise from the New York Times hasn't changed his perspective. He recalls his early days here, when his Green Street Grill show got write-ups from both the Globe and the Phoenix. "I think four people came from it," he said. "Nothing's like being on Johnny Carson 20 or 30 years ago."



Google search this blog

About me



Check me out!
Terror Warning Code Terror Alert Level 2004 World Series Champs

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

Your E-mail:

ATOM 0.3

popular thinking is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly