popular thinking

hopelessly devoted to deconstructing popular culture and conventional wisdom, one blog at a time





E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



HOW NOT TO GAG ON DEEP THROAT COVERAGE: Almost a week after the initial bombshell revelation into W. Mark Felt (Spoiler alert! He was Deep Throat!) and the press still cannot get out of its own way to criticize him, the WaPo, the FBI and themselves, whether it's backtracking to what Felt shoulda coulda woulda done or how he couldn't, shouldn't, wouldn't have done likewise now. In all of this mess, one of the few insightful pieces came, not surprisingly, from Hank Stuever. His "appreciation" of Deep Throat told us something about ourselves. Poynter interviewed Stuever the day his piece ran in the paper. It only reminded me of my own encounter with Sir Hank, many moons ago at a Poynter Writers Workshop in Bellevue, Wash., when I was still finding my own voice with The Sun across the pond in Bremerton. His informal talk about how his beat wasn't a beat at all was enlightening, but more importantly, for me, anyhow, was the sudden realization that the rules and conventions of modern newspapers were bunk -- and why the heck don't I just go ahead and spin the good yarn the best way I know how? So that's what I set out to do. Still working on it. Thanks, Hank!



Google search this blog

About me



Check me out!
Terror Warning Code Terror Alert Level 2004 World Series Champs

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

Your E-mail:

ATOM 0.3

popular thinking is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly