popular thinking

hopelessly devoted to deconstructing popular culture and conventional wisdom, one blog at a time




My journalism teachers in the news


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Well, two of my journalism teachers have gotten some ink and coverage of their own recently.

Gayle Wald taught my first journalism class, a high-school elective in my junior year, and served as faculty advisor for our school paper when I became its editor-in-chief. But she left the school my senior year so she could pursue grad school at Princeton, where I ended up the next year, providing the odd sight every now and then of both of us going to class. Anyhow. Her latest book, Shout Sister Shout!, got a B grade in Entertainment Weekly.

My senior year at Princeton, I took a nonfiction journalism seminar by this new visiting professor, Samuel Freedman. Freedman must've liked his experience teaching us, because he has continued his seminars at Columbia, and the success of his students got the attention of NPR today. I liked the experience, too, by the way. Very challenging class. Especially when you're trying to assign yourself and complete a longform nonfiction narrative, which means you're scheduling time off-campus to find and interview subjects. And at the same time, you've got a senior thesis to research, write and publish. And it's senior spring. So yes, very challenging class. But I'm glad I did it. Scared to look at some of the papers I turned in. But I'm glad I did it.

Labels: ,



Google search this blog

About me



Check me out!
Terror Warning Code Terror Alert Level 2004 World Series Champs

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

Your E-mail:

ATOM 0.3

popular thinking is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly