popular thinking

hopelessly devoted to deconstructing popular culture and conventional wisdom, one blog at a time




The Omen reviewed: 86 this 666 remake


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Those of you who read my Sunday interview with Paul Bisson, the 35-year-old from Salem who launched The Omen Chronicles, already might have surmised my feelings about this remake. I saw it last week. And Bisson's quote to me about the original rings oh so true: “You feel for Damien in the original. You’re heartbroken that this kid is who he is.” The remake, out today because it's 06/06/06 on both the American and European calendars (but not the Jewish or Chinese calendars -- discuss!), doesn't ever make you feel sympathetic for new Damien. It's almost as if the director kept telling the kid, "OK. Can you look even creepier?" Ugh. And how can you have a suspenseful movie without any suspense? Mia Farrow camps and vamps it up, but otherwise, the movie provoked laughs -- not shrieks -- at our press screening last week. I imagine a lot of people will go see this movie, anyhow. But I'd rather you didn't. If you want a good scare, rent the original (or buy the 30th anniversary special DVD when it comes out later this month).

RELATED: Jim's review in the Herald. Jim gave it a C+, I'd say C- or D+ is more like it.



Google search this blog

About me



Check me out!
Terror Warning Code Terror Alert Level 2004 World Series Champs

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

Your E-mail:

ATOM 0.3

popular thinking is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly