popular thinking

hopelessly devoted to deconstructing popular culture and conventional wisdom, one blog at a time




More fun with tape-delay


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The press always makes such a big deal out of NBC's delayed broadcasts of the Olympics. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder why that is. After all, most game shows (including Jeopardy and Survivor) are contested months before broadcast, and no reporters and editors are all up in arms about that. And the biggest "new" sport to take TV by storm -- poker -- had its 2004 World Series of Poker finale delayed from May 28 to ESPN's airwaves on Tuesday. I was all prepared to write something this week on the powerful pull of poker. Prepared, that is, until I watched the SportsCenter anchors interview poker champ Greg Raymer on Tuesday night as if he had won that night. Let me repeat that. They interviewed him, not as if he had won in May, but as if he had won that night. Shocking but true. My media colleagues are letting me down again. What's next? Will a university pay Jayson Blair to talk to its students? Oh wait. That happened this week, too? Argh.



Google search this blog

About me



Check me out!
Terror Warning Code Terror Alert Level 2004 World Series Champs

Previous posts

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

Your E-mail:

ATOM 0.3

popular thinking is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn all about Blogging for Money at Gecko&Fly